Whether you enjoy winter or favor the warmer months in the Rio Grande Valley, a lot of us make adjustments to ensure our home’s temperature keeps us comfortable. This can have a huge impact on your monthly bills, but there are steps you can take to reduce those energy costs.
- Assess the weather stripping – Over time, the seals around your windows and doors can crack or become weathered. Walk around your home to identify any drafts that need to be addressed.
- Take advantage of your blinds – If your windows have blinds, they can be helpful in keeping your space warm. Keep them open when the sun is shining during the day, and make sure to close them at night, so the warmer air doesn’t escape.
- Change your filter – Check your filter regularly to see if it needs to be changed. We advocate at least once every three months, but that period of time can vary from house to house.
- Install a programmable thermostat – Programmable thermostats may seem like just a convenient way to make sure your home remains warm, but programmable thermostats can also save you money! You can arrange temperatures to be lower when you are away from the home or sleeping. It’s just one way to be more efficient and help with energy costs.
- Add insulation to your attic – Look to see if you have an adequate amount of insulation. Because heat rises, insulation in your attic is a great tool to lower the chances of heat escaping.
- Schedule routine maintenance – Just like we visit the doctor to get checkups, your heating system needs a little attention, too. Hiring qualified technicians to clean and maintain your system will confirm that your system is working effectively and efficiently. They can also catch small issues that could end up as more expensive repairs if neglected.
- Assess your HVAC system – If your utility bills are continually increasing—even with your efforts to increase efficiency—it might be time to consider a replacement heating system. The team at Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. can help you analyze the performance of your HVAC system and walk through your options for newer, more efficient models.
Not only will these steps decrease the amount of money you are having to spend on heating bills, but many of them can help your heating system run more efficiently. More efficient energy use also maintains the health of your equipment, which means a longer life for your HVAC system.
If you would like routine maintenance on your heating system or would like an expert to provide insight on reducing energy costs—we’ve got you covered. Give Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. in the Rio Grande Valley a call to start down the right path. Contact our team at 956-630-3522 or arrange an appointment with us online.