Living at ease in the summer can be taken for granted, especially until you feel a taste of anxiety with an air conditioner breakdown. It can happen at the worst moments; you’re eating lunch and unexpectedly feel how warm your kitchen feels or you can’t fall asleep at night because you are so warm bound in your covers. Think you’re feeling this discomfort? It might be time for an air conditioner replacement.
Often times, it isn’t the thermostat’s error; the settings can be operating properly, but it still says that the temperature is over 80 degrees. It’s often times caused by an old or faulty air conditioner that needs a call to the professionals to find out what’s wrong. There are many causes for why air conditioners break down, especially taking into consideration the weather in the Rio Grande Valley. Here are some things that you can search for before you call Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. if you think your air conditioner has stopped working:
- Broken outdoor fan motor: There is a fan motor on your external air conditioning system that helps flow the heat from your home to the outdoors. If you examine your system and find that the fan isn’t running, it means that the heat relocation isn’t transpiring, causing the warm air to stay in your home. This malfunction can also initiate overheating of the compressor and other potential internal harm to your system.
- Dirty filters: It’s one of the most common issues that Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. sees. These unclean filters in your air conditioner lower suitable airflow, affecting the air quality in your home, which is really difficult when allergy season hits. Filthy air filters can also lower the efficiency in your home and boost your monthly energy costs.
- Blocked air flow: Always look for an obstacle or blockage in your return-air or supply-air grille. This can set off your air conditioner to lose efficiency and reduce speed.
TIP: Make sure the grilles aren’t covered by furniture or other home items, also.
- Outside obstructions: Correct air flow could be also deterred from exterior blockages close to your system, such as shrubbery, trees, lawn chairs, etc. When the air flow is hindered, it can influence it’s cooling capabilities. Make sure that your system is free from obstacles and is cleaned regularly to decrease the likelihood of air conditioner replacement.
Once you’ve completed these four system checks and your air conditioner still isn’t working, here are a list of questions and additional checks that you should look into and answer to get your system up and running again. (Only go to the next question if the system doesn’t start after doing the step before it):
- Is your thermostat temperature programmed below the indoor temperature?
- Is your system switch in the COOL spot?
- Is the outdoor unit power supply switch ON?
- Is the furnace/air handler power supply ON?
- Is your house fuse box/breaker box intact or has it blown a fuse or tripped a circuit breaker?
- If none of these things alter your system function, call Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. at 956-381-1162.
Don’t let an air conditioner breakdown or replacement keep you up at night. If you follow these tips and keep your system under annual maintenance, you should have you air conditioner running again in no time. Our team at Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. in the Rio Grande Valley is always here to be of service – give us a call at 956-381-1162.