Whenever your gas furnace is on, carbon monoxide is being produced. However, there is no reason to worry. It is a natural consequence of the fuel-burning process. As long as your furnace is working properly, it is safely deposited outside your home. Carbon monoxide is stored inside your furnace’s heat exchanger until it is safely forced through the flue vent to the open air around your home. Carbon monoxide poisoning is a consequence of a malfunctioning gas furnace.
Inhaling too much carbon monoxide prevents the body from using oxygen and can damage the central nervous system and heart. While carbon monoxide poisoning can hurt anyone exposed to the gas, it is especially risky for people with existing lung or heart diseases, pregnant woman, infants and children. Here are some tips to ease your mine mind and preserve a healthy, comfortable and safe home.
1. Invest in carbon monoxide detectors. Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that can’t be detected by humans. Without a detector, it’s almost impossible to notice carbon monoxide is building up in your home. You may be unaware until someone starts showing symptoms of poisoning. Put carbon monoxide detectors on every floor of your home, ideally near bedrooms, to be alerted to rising levels before anyone gets sick.
2. Be sure your gas furnace was installed properly. If your gas furnace wasn’t installed by pros, you should have it inspected. The experts at Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. can make sure your blower motor is installed accurately and that there are no flaws in your ductwork design. Carbon monoxide can accrue if there are problems in those areas.
3. Schedule annual maintenance. Annual maintenance is the best step you can take to prevent carbon monoxide leaks from your gas furnace. During a yearly maintenance appointment, your professionals will clean your system and check it for malfunctions or problems. It’s also a decent idea to have any other gas-, coal- or oil-burning appliances professionally serviced as well.
4. Keep your air filter clean. A backup of airflow caused by a spoiled filter can cause carbon monoxide to leak out of your system. Set a reminder on your phone or mark your calendar to routinely check your air filter and clean or change it per the manufacturer’s recommendation.
5. Always depend on professionals to fix your gas furnace and other fuel-burning appliances.
Carbon monoxide can be extremely hazardous, but you can have peace of mind by taking a few meaures. You’ll always have the pros at Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. in the Rio Grande Valley around to help, too. Give us a call at 956-630-3522 if you have questions or concerns about carbon monoxide or your gas furnace. You can also schedule an appointment using our online scheduler.