The low temperatures in winter usually manifest as high heating bills. Can you find ways to keep your home toasty without raising your energy cost so much? Yes! Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. has some ideas for you to help keep your home comfortable and your heating bills lower.
Use these tips to help boost your energy efficiency and lower your heating bills this winter:
- Use sunny days in the Rio Grande Valley to help heat your home naturally. Pull back the curtains and open the blinds so the sun can give your furnace a little [[help|boost|break]14.
- Keep the cold air from sneaking in. Seal your windows and doors with caulk or weather stripping.
- The more you can control the temperature in your home, the more you can control your energy usage. A programmable thermostat will get the job done and boost your home’s energy efficiency.
- Clogged, dirty furnace filters make your furnace work overtime and decrease your energy efficiency. Clean or replace them every three months.
- Do a quick examination of your home. Are any vents or cold air returns covered? Clear the way for better airflow and efficiency.
- If your furnace is more than 15 years old, start researching a new energy-efficient model. This could save you the cost of emergency repairs and will help you save on your energy bills for years to come.
- Heat rises. Don’t let your heat rise so far and sneak out through the attic. Keep your attic well insulated to keep warm air where you need it.
- Many people don’t realize this, but heat can also escape through your roof. Check it for loose or missing shingles and holes or areas that need to be sealed.
It may seem like managing your home’s energy efficiency is a full-time job, but with these tips, it should be a little easier. If you’re looking for more ways to increase your home’s energy efficiency, give us a call at 956-630-3522. We’ll help you keep your home comfortable throughout the year, even in the harshest the Rio Grande Valley weather.