According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned at least once every three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the length of time you’ve had your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence this timeline. How can you tell if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some signals that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are totally opened, do any have weaker airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, can you see a buildup of debris or fuzz from your pet’s hair?
5. Have bugs or rodents made a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns covered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you said “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to reach out to Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. in the Rio Grande Valley about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are things you can do to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional visits.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the experts at Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C.. A yearly checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Inspecting your system regularly and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts clear.
Additional ways you can help maintain your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let debris in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and put in new filters when required.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or damp condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your the Rio Grande Valley home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. at 956-630-3522 or make an appointment online.