Spring is in the air here in the Rio Grande Valley and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. team has some helpful advice that will work to keep your home safe and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an economical way to make your home look as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a smart idea to program your lights to coincide with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a trusted friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater relief than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to say not to share photos of your awesome vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you make it home to post photos of your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as excited about the wonderful things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An easy way to save some energy while you’re away is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will save you energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re not going to be home there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some simple tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Cytech Heating & Cooling L.C. in the Rio Grande Valley a call at 956-381-1162.